Monday, September 7, 2009

Thank you Peter or Matthew

This morning I awoke to the pitter patter of SILENCE in the house. Since the kids had spent the night at my dad's house I could actually lay there in my bed for a moment and "be" instead of "do." There I began to think about the blessing of days off and breaks that are so desperately needed sometimes. Today, being Labor Day, gave my dad and stepmom the opportunity to be off work so they could spend time with their grandkids. I then realized I really didn't know much about this holiday at all.

So, for all you trivia buffs out there, here is what I learned:
Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country. The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, in New York City, by the Central Labor Union. They encouraged other groups in other cities to join in the celebration of laborers and workmen of the country. In 1894 Congress passed an act making the first Monday in September of each year a legal holiday. Since then we have celebrated Labor Day annually.

Thank you, Peter McGuire or Matthew Maguire (the history books are in disagreement about the true founder) for founding Labor Day. Without your pride in your "workingman" status this holiday may never have come to pass and consequently I may never have woken to a silent house this morning. THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment