Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Early Morning Blessings

This morning was not our norm but enjoyable nonetheless. Caleb woke us up screaming from his room at about 5:20 this morning. Needless to say I was not a happy camper. Chris and I both played the game where you pretend to ignore the child, laying there like you are asleep until the other one gives in. You know, like playing chicken until the other gets out of your way. Well this morning he won and I got out of bed to see what could be so important this early in the morning.

I quickly made Caleb a bottle and attempted to hold him and give him that bottle. Just as quickly as I sat down to give it to him I was up putting him back in his crib so he could take it on his own. He has been holding his bottle by himself for about five months now and will not let anyone give him assistance in the process. This is apparently a common theme in my kids... they are stubborn and independent to a fault. "Who needs Momma and Daddy when I can do it on my own?"

I make my way back to my nice and comfy bed for all of about ten minutes before Caleb is screaming again but this time Chris lost the game of chicken and he went to get our dissatisfied child. Of course, by this time Chris is needing to get ready for work and since nothing is working to calm our child he brings Caleb into my bed.

So the title, right, Early Morning Blessings? Chris hands me Caleb and I tuck him in real tight with me to lay down and cuddle with him. Did I mention that my kiddos are independent? I thought this whole laying together thing would last for mabye five minutes at the most. He is ususally the last person to want to snuggle and, God forbid it, show dependence on another person.

As soon as his little head hit my embrase he was fast asleep. I just lay there for a long time listening to his little infant snores through his constantly stuffed-up nose. I felt his little twitches has he had adventures with Annabelle and Hannah in his dreams. It was a wonderful time in mothering. I think God gives us these little moments when we need them the most. He uses them to remind us that what He has given us is not a mistake or inconvenience but blessings from on high. They are gentle reminders that what He has given us is sufficent and planned in perfect accordance to His will.

I know it is not Thankful Thursday, but today I am thankful for the blessing of my family and the opportunity to serve them every day!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I am so glad you had this morning to prepare you for the rest of your day! :)

    ReplyDelete